Why High Sharers are Important to your Business?

Last week I saw a musical in Barcelona and absolutely loved it! I loved it so much that I immediately raved and recommended it to my facebook friends. I was able to share the happiness I felt coming out of the show, encouraging my friends not to miss out.

Today online channels have become a way to both ask and make recommendations. When was the last time you bought something important and you didn’t reference a review site? Or ask your friends on Facebook when hesitating between various brands or models?

Mashable recently published an info-graphic featuring data from M Booth and Beyond, analyzing the social consumer and the way we share online.

Some notable facts:
53% use Facebook to interact with a brand
40% liked a product on Facebook
20% use Facebook to research products at least once a week
42% wrote an online post about a product or a brand
33% wrote a product review online
The info-graphic also shows the difference in efforts we invest into researching a product depending on the nature – Low vs High involvement products. In high involvement products you can find more expensive and less frequently purchased products, like technology and holiday trips. For these products we seem to put more effort and time into the research phase, whilst less costly products, such as baby items, makeup and music are usually purchased with a minimum amount of effort.
Furthermore, the study differentiates between two types of online consumers. On the one hand we have the high sharers (20% of online consumers) who are young, do not put much effort into researching products online but do recommend products, are brand loyal and own multiple internet devices. On the other hand we find the low sharers (80% of online consumers) who are older than the high sharers, put high involvement in researching products online, care more about quality then brand image, is less brand loyal and is more likely to purchase products as a result of research. Interesting conclusion: high sharers are 3x more likely to recommend a product online.
According to the study, 3 different channels influence the social consumer, each one with their sub channels:
  • Earned channels (ratings and reviews sites, news articles, word of mouth and blog posts)
  • Owned channels (brand website, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube videos)
  • Search channels (paid search and organic search)
The Top 5 influential online channels are:
  1. Search results
  2. Brand website
  3. Ratings & Reviews sites
  4. News articles
  5. Online ads
So what does all this research mean for a brand or business? It’s no longer enough to buy an online ad. A combination of all channels will ensure a higher chance of reaching the core target. And what should a brand or business do?
1st step: Identifying the High sharers in your Business – who are they and where can we reach them?
2nd step: Offer them content that people will want to share, both inside the community and in other channels.
Our strong philosophy at Linqia to best reach any target audience is to be a part of their natural environment – the communities and online groups they are a part of. And to join the conversation, brands need to provide valuable and highly engaging content that leaders can share in a natural non salesy way.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: